The Results of my Survey

This survey was given to a group of people that consists of twenty undergraduate students studying animation. Here, I am posting the results from this questionnaire but also the conclusions that emerge from the results:

  1. First of all, to my biggest surprise the results show that 70% of the people who have taken this survey have a mental illness listed in this survey. This phenomenon not only shows the large amount of people in society suffering from mental illness but how my topic “Mental illness in Animation” is actually very much related and connected to modern society.

  2. According to the results of the first question, almost all of the people that were been asked believe that mental illness in animation can be depicted as freely as any other subject. However, more than half would go with this as long as the content would be accurate. Even though this is a positive result for someone who would want to make an animation about mental illness, also shows that it comes with a price of at least knowing your field well and give accurate depictions.

  3. Overall, the results of question three show that people are very familiar with the mental disorders that are mentioned in the survey and this should not be a surprise if you consider the fact that almost 2/3 of the people have mental illness. However, it is worth to mention that Depression and Social anxiety are the more known between the others with 80% of people knowing them. 

  4. The results of question four shows that the majority of people feel comfortable enough to watch an animation about mental illness but again half of the people would go for this only as long as the content is accurate.

  5. The majority of people believe that mental illness can be depicted with humour in an animation, however more than half would not accept humour that exceeds a certain limit. Therefore, this suggests that people would not want to see humour in mental illness that uses elements of exaggeration but maybe a tasteful humour instead.

  6. According to the results of question six, 100% of the people are positive about formal terms of mental disorders in animation. This suggests that my idea of having formal terms of mental disorders in my short animation would be very well accepted by the audience.

  7. Question seven was very important to my conclusions as it asks about a phenomenon that was many times mentioned through my research. Words like “coo-coo”, “looney” and “nuts”… do or do not affect the audiences? The results in my survey suggest that actually the majority of 80% do not get offended in contrast with the rest 20%. This does not indicate whether which side is right or wrong but it suggests that it is not as intense as it was mentioned in my previous research. However, 20% is still a decent amount of people who do not like such verbal representations and in a way that confirms some of the suggestions in my previous research, like stigmatise.

  8. The results of question ten are very important for me to draw a conclusion about what actually people want to see in an animation about mental illness. The results show that the majority of people is very interested just to see the visual representations of mental disorders. It is worth mentioning that 60% of the people also want to learn information about a mental disorder that is depicted in an animation. This confirms the results of the first questions that people want to see accurate content in an animation about mental illness so in a way it suggests that it’s in an animator’s obligation to be an expert on his field.

  9. Last question but not least, the results bust some of the theories that were mentioned in my research. Do or do not people expect to see bad physical looks in a character when it is indicated as mentally ill? Half of the people would expect any physical looks attached to a mentally ill character, whereas 35% just don’t care to know what the characters would look like. Also, another 20% expect mentally ill characters to look just ordinary. If not completely, the results suggest that at least the myth of people stigmatised by the ugly looks of mentally ill characters is busted.

results-1-dragged

Results-2 (dragged).png

results-3-draggedresults-4-draggedresults-5-dragged

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s